Jennifer is an active opera and musical theatre performer in the Bay Area. She recently made her solo debut with San Francisco Symphony as the soprano soloist in Mendelssohn’s Lobgesang, conducted by Andràs Schiff. Recent operatic credits include Patience (Patience) at Lamplighters Music Theatre, Barbarina (Le nozze di Figaro) at Opera San José, Atalanta (Serse) with the Handel Opera Project, Despina (Così fan tutte in English translation) and Ida (Die Fledermaus) at Pocket Opera, Annina (La traviata) with Livermore Valley Opera, Jane Eyrehead (Trial by Jury & Trial by Jury Duty) and Ida (Die Fledermaus) with Lamplighters Music Theatre, and the Novice (Suor Angelica) with Opera San José. Jennifer’s performance as Patience appears on the Lamplighters’ recording of the operetta as part of their project to record all of the Gilbert & Sullivan works and is available on the Lamplighters website and on Spotify. Jennifer is also a professional chorister with the San Francisco Symphony Chorus.
Jennifer’s musical theatre roles include Johanna (Sweeney Todd) at Hillbarn Theatre; Marian (The Music Man) and Laurey (Oklahoma!) at Broadway by the Bay; Laurey (Oklahoma!), Belle (Beauty and the Beast) and Cosette (Les Misérables) at Woodminster Summer Musicals; Priest/Ensemble (Jesus Christ Superstar – all female production) at Ray of Light Theatre; Catherine Hastings (A Christmas Carol) at Center REPertory Company; Rosabella (The Most Happy Fella) and Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof) at Cinnabar Theater; Clara (The Light in the Piazza) and Julie Jordan (Carousel) with Spreckels Theatre Company; Marsinah (Kismet in Concert), Kitty Verdun (Where’s Charley?), and Polly Browne (The Boy Friend) with 42nd Street Moon; Kathy (Company) with Los Altos Stage Company; and Gerda in the workshop of San José Repertory Theatre’s new musical adaptation of The Snow Queen. Jennifer also performed Cosette in concert with Masterworks Chorale, in addition to performing on their 2014 holiday concert. She received nominations from the San Francisco Bay Area Theatre Critics Circle for Best Principal Actress in a Musical for her roles in The Most Happy Hella, The Light in the Piazza, and The Boy Friend. Jennifer also had the opportunity to play Sophie in Terence McNally’s play Master Class at the Jewel Theater Company, and she played Snow White at San Francisco’s iconic Beach Blanket Babylon in 2016-17.
Critical acclaim for Jennifer’s performances:
- “Soprano Jennifer Mitchell and mezzo-soprano Margaret Lisi joined forces for a sumptuous account of the duet ‘Ich harrete des Herrn.'” (Joshua Kosman, San Francisco Chronicle review of San Francisco Symphony’s performance of Mendelssohn’s Lobgesang, February 2019)
- “The vocal resources could not have been more stimulating […] Soprano Mitchell came off in splendid style.” (Stephen Smoliar, The Rehearsal Studio review of Mendelssohn’s Lobgesang)
- “From the moment she appears and sings, “I cannot tell what this love may be,” Jennifer Mitchell as Patience proves her ability to skip easily, lightly, and with full gaiety through her sung notes, jumping to the high note challenges Sullivan has provided her with true clarity and purity.” (Eddie Reynolds, Theatre Eddys about Lamplighters Music Theatre’s 2017 production of Patience)
- “Jennifer Mitchell as Julie Jordan conveyed a wistful hope, supported by an angelic voice that brought the score to life. Her If I Loved You was ethereal in its beauty,” (Alexa Chipman, Imagination Lane Reviews).
- Her performance of Polly Browne was described as “effervescent” by Cindy Warner of the SF Examiner.
- “With her exquisite voice and honest stage presence, charming Jennifer Mitchell as the grown-up Cosette makes credible the instantaneous bond of love between her and Marius.” (Paul Myrvold).
Additionally, she has performed with Opera San José’s educational outreach program since 2012. She played Rosina in their production of The Barber of Seville, which she also performed with Starting Arts’ outreach program and West Bay Opera’s Opera in the Schools program. Past roles with Opera San José’s outreach are The Soprano in Mozart Magic and Lucy in The Billy Goat’s Gruff. Jennifer has also appeared regularly in the Opera San José Chorus.
Jennifer attended the prestigious AIMS in Graz program, where she performed in a number of concerts open to the people of Graz and participated in a master class with world-renowned coach Kathleen Kelly. Awards include the Edwin Barlow Award at the 2012 SFBAC NATS Festival, an East Bay Opera League Scholarship Award, and 2nd prize in the 2011 San José Woman’s Club Scholarship Award Competition. Additionally, Jennifer was a Regional Finalist for the 2012 NATS Artist Awards in Las Vegas.
An alumna of San José State University, Jennifer completed her Master’s in Vocal Performance under the tutelage of Layna Chianakas. She graduated cum laude from Wellesley College with degrees in Music and Italian. In addition to performing, Jennifer maintains a busy private voice studio (see Voice Studio page for more information); she is also an adjunct Lecturer in Voice at San José State University and a member of the teaching staff at Lareen Fender’s Ballet School.